What are Platelets?
Platelets are cells that are rich in growth factors and cytokines. They are found in the blood and respond to damaged areas to help with healing. Platelets help to recruit the body’s own powerful regenerative mechanisms to help aid with healing of tissues. Growth factors, enzymes and cytokines help to form new collagen, blood vessels and heal damaged joints.
What Can PLP help with?
- Joint pain (arthritis)
- Tendon injury (tendonitis)
- Wound healing
- Fine lines/ wrinkles
- Erectile dysfunction
- Urinary incontinence
- Female sexual dysfunction
- Hair growth
If you experience any of the following, you should NOT consider PRP treatment:
- Low platelet count/ certain blood disorders
- Active infection in area being treated
- Currently on chemotherapy
- Currently on anti-coagulants (Plavix, Coumadin, etc.)
- Chronic liver disorders
- Recent steroid use in the last 4 weeks
Benefits of PRP
- PRP is high in Growth Factors which aid in the healing of cartilage, muscles, skin, bone and growth of hair.
- PRP comes from your own body so there is no worry of rejection or allergic reactions
- PRP has been shown to increase the growth of blood vessels in tissue
- PRP has been shown to increase Collagen growth in skin and joints
PRP Treatment Process
A small amount of blood is drawn and spun in a special machine called a centrifuge. This separates the red and white blood cells from the platelet rich plasma. The platelet rich plasma is then sucked off with a syringe and injected into the damaged joints or muscles to help speed up the healing.
The procedure takes about 30 minutes total. We have found the best results require 3 series of injections (occurring 2-3 weeks apart). Results can occur as soon as 2 weeks, but may take longer.
No smoking, NSAID use during treatment time.
After Care Instructions
- Avoid ant-inflammatory medications such as Advil, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Aleve, Naproxen, Meloxicam, Mobic, and Celebrex for 4-6 weeks.
- No high impact activity up to 14 days.
- Active recovery is encouraged.
- No baths (showers are fine) or swimming for 48-72 hours.
- For skin care procedures- avoid being in the sun for 2 weeks.
- For sexual wellness injections- no intercourse for 48 hours.